Pc Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc Issues

So Im having a few problems with my graphics card and my RAM.

I will start with my graphics card issue, first of all I have been getting these random black screens once a week maybe it will last for about 5/6 seconds and then everything will be back to normal with a little message telling me that my graphics card stopped responding for a few seconds. It will then return to normal. I understand this maybe a driver issue so tomorrow evening that will be the first thing I try, to add to this problem over the last few hours when viewing any video bbc iplayer for example it often just turns green :l

Secondly, I had a 64 bit copy of windows vista home basic installed to my PC when I first made it as I wanted the cheap opinion after spending a ton of cash making the pc. What I did not notice was that this copy of windows only supports 8GB of RAM (I have 12GB) So I purchased a windows 7 upgrade disc in which I used to upgrade this, also 64 bit.

Windows is still telling me I only have 8 GB of ram. any ideas why this might be?

I also have the first issue, but only when playing TF2
    ZoltanMann is why mums go to Iceland

Comment

The first problem could be related to the GPU overheating.
      As for the second problem, you might want to check if you inserted the RAM properly.

Comment

First thing you need to do is check that the motherboard detected the correct amount of ram in the bios i assume youre letting the motherboard set the memory timings automaticly, it may not have?

Secondly never use upgrades.

thirdly, what PSU spec you using?
        Support Staff
        GamingDeluxe Ltd

chat live via irc http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=gamingdeluxe

Comment

Why should I never use an upgrade Carn? could this be the reason?

1000W

Ill check my bios, and Im sure the rams in correctly.

Comment

If you use an upgrade, then the upgrade process will usually grab and migrate all your existing settings. Obviously if those settings are correct, then no problem but if they aren't you are going to compound pre-existing problems. A clean install helps you start with a fresh page that doesn't have the junk left behind by the old supreceded software.

Most Windows upgrades can still be done as a fresh install simply by using the upgrade disk having booted the PC to the disk, and selecting the new install options, ideally allowing it to wipe the existing drive (make sure you have backed everything up before hand so you can reinstall your data and favourite software). At some point during the installation process you may be asked to insert the earlier windows install disk, or at least give the older windows licence keys.

I'd certainly have a look at the BIOS settings, assuming of course that your motherboard can actually support that much RAM.

I volunteer to help with this forum but don't work for Gaming Deluxe so I don't have access to support systems

Comment

It also depends on which Windows 7 you have. Home Basic allows up to 8gb while Home Professional allows 16gb and Professional, enterprise and ultimate all support up to 192gb. Make sure the graphic card hasn't been knocked out as well. Hard to believe but they are quite flimsy at the back and do pop out occasionally, I know because it happens to me a lot
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Im still getting these green screen problems no idea whats the problem

Comment

Right so Ive got some pics of the problem. It seems to be after the PCs been turned on for a long time (14 Hours) the pc wasnt really going a load of work during the time it happened.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/654/pcerror.jpg

It happened when playing a game. After this has happened the pc becomes unresponsive.

Comment

pweetty colours!!!!! simple fix... dont have ur comp on for so long!!
                    i jest, erm i personally think you should, when it happens, turn it off completley for a few mins, then power it back up.
                    sigpic
                    Homer dont touch that cable while im gone ok?

ok Marge

(zzzt) D'oh! why didnt anyone tell me about the cable

mmm cable gahhhh!

www.homerfights.blogspot.com <- my information :)

Comment

GFX card is overheating or is on its way out when you start getting artifacts on the screen how old is the card ? and is it overclocked ?

Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War

Plato

Comment

You might want to start looking for a new GPU, as soon as possible.

Comment

there are many simple repairable fixes for gfx artifacts like this

1) install latest drivers (rule out any power saving settings)
                          2) change the gfx power molex/lead
                          3) power down the pc, remove the card, remove the protective chassis and check and clean the GPU fan (replace if neccesary)
                          4) remove the heatsink check/replace the GPU/mem/chipset thermal pads
                          4a) try putting this card in a different PC and see if it has the same issues or try borrowing someones GFX card and put it in your pc and see if it suffers the same effects
                          5) and you do this at your own risk as a last resort incase your gfx is suffering from dried joints: remove all the chassis covers from the gfx card the fan / heatsinks and anything else that can be unscrewed and removed that will not survive a trip to an oven

set your over to 200 degrees get a baking tray and make 4 small balls of aluminium foil rest the gfx card face down on the tray with an aluminium ball in each corner holding it up from the tray (making sure the gpu/and transisters are all on the underside with the soldor facing upwards) leave to bake for 10 minutes maximum then reassemble (***DISCLAIMER - this can sometimes repair dry joints enough to get the card working again WARNING this can also kill a card permanently***)

if all else fails buy a new GFX card
                          Last edited by Carnage; 22-04-2012, 04:29 PM.
                          Support Staff
                          GamingDeluxe Ltd

chat live via irc http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=gamingdeluxe

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackaL View Post
                            GFX card is overheating or is on its way out when you start getting artifacts on the screen how old is the card ? and is it overclocked ?
                            Geforce GTX 560 TI. Im not overclocking on suppose Jan - 2011

Originally posted by Saxton Hale View Post
                            You might want to start looking for a new GPU, as soon as possible.
                            If I leave it as it is, will it damage the rest of the PC? or will the GPU all of a sudden just stop working all togeather

Originally posted by Carnage View Post
                            there are many simple repairable fixes for gfx artifacts like this

1) install latest drivers (rule out any power saving settings)
                            2) change the gfx power molex/lead
                            3) power down the pc, remove the card, remove the protective chassis and check and clean the GPU fan (replace if neccesary)
                            4) remove the heatsink check/replace the GPU/mem/chipset thermal pads
                            4a) try putting this card in a different PC and see if it has the same issues or try borrowing someones GFX card and put it in your pc and see if it suffers the same effects
                            5) and you do this at your own risk as a last resort incase your gfx is suffering from dried joints: remove all the chassis covers from the gfx card the fan / heatsinks and anything else that can be unscrewed and removed that will not survive a trip to an oven

set your over to 200 degrees get a baking tray and make 4 small balls of aluminium foil rest the gfx card face down on the tray with an aluminium ball in each corner holding it up from the tray (making sure the gpu/and transisters are all on the underside with the soldor facing upwards) leave to bake for 10 minutes maximum then reassemble (***DISCLAIMER - this can sometimes repair dry joints enough to get the card working again WARNING this can also kill a card permanently***)

if all else fails buy a new GFX card
                            I recently updated my drivers from the Nvidia site to get fix a problem I was getting when watching videos online, this has since been fixed but this error has taken its place.

Originally posted by homer7295 View Post
                            pweetty colours!!!!! simple fix... dont have ur comp on for so long!!
                            i jest, erm i personally think you should, when it happens, turn it off completley for a few mins, then power it back up.
                            Thats what I have been doing its all I can do. De-power it via the plug/power button and re-boot in a few minutes.
                            Last edited by Bulletproofmonk; 22-04-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Well an update on whats going on, basically I sent the graphics card back to Scan as it was still under warranty, they checked it and told me it was "ok" and that they couldn't find the same fault I had so its currently on the way back to me minus 30 for checking and mailing it back to me =.=

I did manage to replicate the fault myself or at least something was that near to the problem and that was to use a program called "MSI aferburner" which is an overclocking and monitoring tool for graphics cards and when I increased the Core Clock Mhz speed to maybe double the decent speed the card would break down and pretty much do exactly what the screen shot shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X